SilverStar Mountain Resort: A Comprehensive Review
Nestled in the pristine heart of British Columbia’s Monashee Mountain range, SilverStar Mountain Resort beckons as the quintessential winter wonderland. Boasting natural snow, expansive terrain, and an intimate ski-in/ski-out village, SilverStar is not just a destination for avid winter sports enthusiasts, but for anyone yearning for an enchanting mountain escape.
- Size: SilverStar stretches over an impressive 3,282 acres (1,328 hectares), ensuring you have ample ground to carve and explore.
- Runs & Terrain: With 132 meticulously marked runs and 12 gladed areas, it caters to all skill levels:
- 15% Easiest (including Silver Queen Beginners Area with Quad Chair lift access)
- 40% Intermediate
- 35% Most Difficult
- 10% Extreme
- Vertical Drop: A thrilling 760m (2,500ft) descent awaits, promising adrenaline rushes for thrill-seekers.
- Lifts: 10 efficient lifts, including the high-speed Powder Gulch Quad, quickly transport skiers to their chosen trails.
- Snow Quality: With an astonishing 700cm+ (275 inches) annual snowfall, SilverStar prides itself on 100% all-natural, dry champagne powder, negating the need for artificial snowmaking.
- Terrain Variety: From the perfectly groomed runs of Vance Creek to the challenging double black diamonds on the back side, there’s a slice of mountain for everyone.
- Award-Winning Grooming: Their renowned grooming team works nightly, ensuring impeccably groomed runs that invite skiers to experience steep fall line cruising.
- The Village: The heart and soul of SilverStar, this mid-mountain village encapsulates charm and convenience. Despite its intimate size, it promises a plethora of activities, from skating the pond to simply unwinding with a hot cocoa.
Guests are spoilt for choice with a spectrum of ski-in/ski-out lodging options, ranging from standard hotel rooms to lavish multi-bedroom condos and vacation homes.
More than a ski resort, SilverStar is a culinary journey. With over 13 eclectic cafés, restaurants, pubs, and lounges, it celebrates the flavors of the Okanagan. Whether it’s a sophisticated dinner or a simple pub meal, there’s something for every palate.
- SilverStar Mountain Museum: A partnership between SilverStar Mountain Resort, Greater Vernon Museum and Archives, and the local community, this museum chronicles the rich tapestry of the mountain’s history, dating back centuries to Indigenous summer grounds.
- Mountain Hosts: These knowledgeable volunteers are the resort’s gems. Offering free guided tours, they introduce guests to the best runs, share mountain secrets, and provide insights into village facilities.
Getting to SilverStar is straightforward:
- Located just 22 km (12 miles) northeast of Vernon, BC.
- Drive times from notable locations:
- Vernon: 20 minutes
- Kelowna Airport: 55 minutes
- Vancouver: 5 hours
- Calgary: 6.5 hours
For those flying in, Kelowna Concierge offers convenient shuttle services from the Kelowna International Airport, ensuring you reach the resort with ease.
SilverStar Mountain Resort stands out as a testament to winter perfection. From its exquisite snow and diverse terrain to its inviting village and beyond, it promises an unparalleled experience. While it wins hearts with its vast expanse and award-winning features, areas like expanding après-ski activities and perhaps adding more advanced tech integrations for ticketing and resort navigation could enhance the experience further. Nonetheless, for those seeking a genuine winter escape, SilverStar remains a top contender in the world of ski vacations.
Other Things To Know…
Silver Star ski resort is a quaint resort with a mid-mountain village filled with Victorian-type buildings painted in an array of colours in an otherwise white wilderness.
Accommodation is ski in / ski out with over 3000 skiable acres – the “front side” of the mountain offers long, groomed cruisers plus gladed skiing while the notorious “back side” offers some great steep, groomed advanced runs as well as tight mogul chutes and extreme double diamonds that will keep the more seasoned expert skiers very content.
Silver Star ski resort is best suited for families or guests who just love their skiing. There are a number of great restaurants, a fantastic wine bar and of course, Long Johns Pub in the village. With the unique “My1Pass”, lift tickets include not only alpine skiing but also Nordic skiing, tubing, skating and snowshoeing.
To entertain the kids, Silver Star ski resort offers a thrilling tube park, natural ice pond and even mini snowmobile rides.